That You May Believe - Week 14
The narrative in John 11 reveals God in Jesus through the death and resurrection of Lazarus. The story is bookended by statements that help explain the reason behind the events that take place, "It is for the glory of God, and that the Son of God would be glorified through it." Because the Glory of God is a central theme, not only in this narrative but also in Scripture as a whole, it is important to note that Glory means "God Revealed." God reveals himself through the death and resurrection of Lazarus, showing that His timing is perfect, His power is limitless, and His son is the Resurrection and the Life. This incredible revealing leads those witnessing this sign-miracle to believe and bring glory to God by witnessing that story and the truth of Jesus to others. The truth that this passage communicates is that God will bring Glory to any situation no matter how horrific or hopeless it may seem because God is for God. God wants to bring glory, praise, and honor to His name, and we give him that praise when we see His works, His restoration, and His redemption. If you can't see how he is working through your current circumstance for His glory right now, know that he wants what's best for you, and remain satisfied in Jesus and His eternal victory through the Cross.
Let's keep the conversation going. Use the following questions to discuss with your family, friends, or discussion group.
1. How would you define and describe "Glory"?
2. Reading in John about the Disciples' conversation with Jesus before they go to Bethany, where have you struggled to walk in the confidence of God and His plan for you?
3. Do you have a relationship with Jesus where you can express your doubts, fears, and questions to Him in confidence? Why or why not?
4. What situations in your life have made you question the love of God, the power of God, or the character of God? Looking back on those situations, do you now see how God was working for your good and His Glory?
5. What does it look like to view the world and everything that happens in it through the resurrection lens - through the eyes of Jesus?
6. How can you reveal more of God to others around you through the situations of your life?
Watch the message from service below.